1. Duck Soup– Often referred to as the Marx Brothers best film, Duck Soup is also one of the best military satires ever made. Personally, I love the Marx Brothers. I find their humor brilliant. I think this is a film that everyone should give a chance and you might just find that the wit of old Hollywood is just as good if not better as the wit of Hollywood today. Oh and it just so happens to be number 5 in AFI’s Top 100 Laughs of All-Time if you don’t want to take my word for it. Also, the entire film can be viewed on YouTube below if you don’t have Netflix!
2. The Gold Rush– I’m a big Charlie Chaplin apologist but I’m not naive enough to think everyone has the patience to sit down and watch one of his films and enjoy it. However, The Gold Rush is a solid entry into his legend as one of his earliest films dating back to 1925. We watched part of it in my film class in college and I fell in love. City Lights, Modern Times, and The Dictator are my favorites but this one is worth checking out if you just want to get a feel for him. The entire movie is also linked on YouTube below if you don’t have Netflix. For the record it’s also number 25 on AFI’s Top 100 Laughs.
3. A Shot in the Dark– The most modern of the films on today’s list, A Shot in the Dark is another comedic classic coming in at number 48 on AFI’s Top 100 Laughs. It’s a classic whodunnit and by far the most popular and well known film of the Pink Panther series. Peter Sellers kills it as Inspector Clouseau.
4. My Man Godfrey– Maybe my favorite film on today’s list. It’s an absolutely phenomenal social class satire with societal commentary that is still highly relevant today. Also it comes in at number 44 on AFI’s Top 100 Laughs. And again, if you don’t have Netflix, the entire film can be viewed below on YouTube.
5. Harvey– If you haven’t picked up on the theme all 5 of today’s recommendations are on AFI’s Top 100 Laughs. Harvey comes in at number 35 and if you loves Jimmy Stewart as much as I do you’ll love him in this. He has an imaginary friend that is a big 6+ foot rabbit. What’s not to love about that?
Need to catch up on my past suggestions? Follow the links below!